Adding some zing to that first draft
A smart edit can make a big difference to your writing project. When you’re close to your subject, it’s not always easy to ‘see’ it as a customer would. I look for ways to simplify your message and make it easy for the customer to read on…like this:
- Using fewer words to get your message across.
- Explaining technical or complex concepts so others can understand.
- Replacing long explanations with simple, straight-forward sentences.
- Breaking text with bullets where appropriate.
- Creating more white space for easier reading.
- Simplifying text so digital pages are scannable.
- Giving more punch to news stories.
- Tailoring messages to the audience.
- Ensuring the message is consistent with the organisation’s brand and style.
- Ordering and structuring the document for reading ease and understanding.